- Finger prints are formed in the embryo at the fourth month, and remain fixed and distinct all along man’s life.
- Finger prints are a record of curvatures that arise due to the fusion between the epidermis with the dermis.
- These curvatures differ from one person to another, and they never match or correspond among all humans.
- Finger prints have become the best method to identify persons. In 1858, the English Scientist, William Herschel, pointed out that finger prints differ with the difference of their holders, thus rendering them as distinctive feature evidence for each person.
Allah says in the Holy Quran : “I do swear by the Day of Resurrection. I do swear by the reproachful soul. Does man reckon We shall not gather his bones? Yes indeed; We are able to shape again the tips of his fingers.” (75: 1-4)
لا أُقْسِمُ بِيَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ * وَلا أُقْسِمُ بِالنَّفْسِ اللَّوَّامَةِ * أَيَحْسَبُ الإِنسَانُ أَلَّنْ نَجْمَعَ عِظَامَهُ * بَلَى قَادِرِينَ عَلَى أَنْ نُسَوِّيَ بَنَانَهُ [ سورة القيامة 1-4].
- Physicians conducted wide anatomical studies on a large number of people of different nationalities and ages, and they were confronted with the scientific fact to which they bowed their heads, and in submission they testified that no one is ever able to make similar all finger prints scattering all over the universe not even among two persons.
- Here it is noticed that the verse speaks also of the recreation of all finger tips, and not only one. The word fingertips refer to all hand fingers. So shaping them again after being scattered all over the universe on Resurrection Day is a sign of Allah’s almighty power. This is but one side of Allah’s ability to resurrect people on Doomsday with their identifiable parts after annihilation.
- Therefore, it is not surprising that fingertips are one of Allah’s signs that contain the secret of His creation, and certify to the entity of the person without any confusion, thus becoming the most genuine testimony in this world and the Hereafter. The finger print is also a demonstration of Allah’s greatness of shaping such lines on a very small space no more than few square centimeters.
- Is it not a wonderful scientific miracle in which the power of Allah the Almighty is evident ? Praise be to Allah the Almighty Who says; “Soon will We show them our signs in the furthest horizons, and in their own souls, until it becomes manifest to them that this is the Truth” (41: 53)
سَنُرِيهِمْ آيَاتِنَا فِي الآفَاقِ وَفِي أَنْفُسِهِمْ حَتَّى يَتَبَيَّنَ لَهُمْ أَنَّهُ الْحَقُّ أَوَلَمْ يَكْفِ بِرَبِّكَ أَنَّهُ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ شَهِيدٌ [ سورة فصلت 53].
Allah the Almighty speaks of Abu Jahl (an inveterate enemy of Islam, who used to insult prophet Mohammad (PBUH) and his followers) :
“No Indeed; surely, if he gives not over, We shall seize him by the forelock, a lying, sinful forelock!” (96 : 15-16)
كَلَّا لَئِنْ لَمْ يَنْتَهِ لَنَسْفَعَاً بِالنَّاصِيَةِ*نَاصِيَةٍ كَاذِبَةٍ خَاطِئَةٍ* [ سورة العلق 15-16].
Forelock means lock of hair at forehead. in explanation of Allah’s verse: ‘We shall seize him by the forelock’, Al Faraa said; ‘it is the forehead that He (Allah) shall seize Abu Jahl to drag him i.e., a sign of humiliation and disgrace.’
Al Alousi said; “The forelock as described in the verse, indicates in the first place that this person is lying and sinful, and due to Abu Jahl’s obstinate lying and sins, every part of him is lying and sinning .” Al Alousi also said; “The forelock is specifically mentioned here because the cursed Abu Jahl used to take good care of it by combing and perfuming, and because seizing the forelock is the utmost humiliation for any Arab…”
- Some Quran commentators say: “The aim is not a lying forelock. But it is used metaphorically, not in the strict sense of the term, i.e., it is the forelock of a liar and sinful. Since the forelock is the forehead, the description of lying refers to the possessor, as it could not be a place or source of lying.
- In his “Musnad”, Ahmed referred to the Prophet’s Hadith which points out to the forelock. It was narrated that the Prophet (PBUH) said;
“O, my Lord I am Your slave and the son of Your slave and the son of Your bondmaid, my forelock is at Your Hands, … ” . This Hadith reveals that man’s fate is at Allah’s Hands, as well as man’s forelock, thus indicating, as the Verse above, that the forelock plays an important role in guiding and controlling man’s behaviour.
- So, what is the reason underlying the use of forelock? What is the hidden organ behind the forehead – that part which is responsible for the person’s character and which controls man’s behaviour and actions of truthfulness and lying, right and wrong, and which if subjugated, man’s behaviour can be controlled, as indicated in the book of “Gray’s anatomy ” edited by Warwick & Williams.
Man’s brain contains the following main lobes:
- Frontal lobe
- Occipital lobe.
- Temporal lobe.
- Parietal lobe.
- For each lobe, there is a functional role, which is at he same time complementary to the other body functions. Having dissected the forehead, the frontal lobe was found to be the part lying behind. The frontal lobe is characterized, apart from the animal counterpart, with the regions responsible for behaviour and speech being developed and distinct as per the anatomic and functional levels.
- The Frontal lobe is a big lobe situated in front of the central groove, and contains five neurological centres that vary in location and position. These centres are
- Primary Motor Area that helps move the voluntary muscles of the left side of the body.
- Secondary Motor Area that helps move the voluntary muscles of the right side of the body.
- Frontal Eye Field that helps move eyes to the opposite sides compatibly.
- Motor Speech Area of Broca that coordinates movements among organs of speech, such as larynx, tongue and face.
- Pre-Frontal Cortex, which lies directly behind the forehead, represents the bigger part of the frontal lobe, and its function is responsible for forming the person’s character and also has an effect in determining the ability of taking initiative and judgment.
The miracle side:
The miracle side in the above Quranic verse and the Honourable Hadith of the Prophet is that they refer very accurately to the frontal lobe, lying deep at man’s forelock, as being the centre of decision to control man’s actions of truthfulness, lying, right, wrong, balance or perversion. This has been revealed by modern scientific studies in the second half of the 20th century.
The brain is surrounded with three membranes, among which is the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF), which has the function of protection, feeding and cooling.
It has been found that the brain inside the skull weighs 50 gm, although the real weight is 1700 gm. The physical principle states that the volume of the object immersed in fluid is equal to the volume of displaced fluid. Therefore, it is of the Almighty Creator’s decree that we do not feel the brain weight, as it floats in the CSF, which originates from a special area in the brain called “the corogy plexus”, and rotates inside and comes out of another area such as the domestic water net. This cycle occurs five times a day. As Moslems do before prayer times, the brain get ablution 5 times a day … !
We prostrate on the frontal lobe which has the centre of decision making. When prostrating and worshiping Allah, the Moslem’s forelock is certified as truthful and right .
Man in high altitudes
Almost 100 years ago, medical researches started address the functions of the human body when rising up in high altitudes, and the effect of being at high atmosphere. Aero- and space medicine gives so much details of this issue, in which the dyspnea is explained in two main causes:
- Less oxygen rates in high altitudes.
- Decrease of air pressure.
The more we rise up from the surface of the earth, the more the air pressure decreases, thus leading to decrease of the rate of air passage through alveoli pulmonis to blood. Decrease of air pressure also leads to distention of gases in stomach and intestines that push the diaphragm upwards, thus pressing over and obstructing the extension of lungs.
Stages of the symptoms of oxygen shortage phenomena:
These are divided into four stages that relate to air pressure and the level of altitude and the rate of oxygen concentration in blood.
- The stage of non alteration, i.e., from the level of sea to an altitude of 3 km. In this stage, the symptoms of oxygen shortage are not present and sight is not affected at day time.
- The stage of physiological adjustment, i.e., from an altitude of 3 km to 5 km. Body systems function in this stage in such a way that will not let the symptoms of oxygen shortage appear, unless the period of exposing to such a shortage is elongated, or the person exerts physical effort in such conditions. In that case, rates of respiration, pulse, blood pressure and circulation increase in number and depth.
- The stage of physiological disturbance, i.e., from an altitude of 5 km to 8 km. In this stage, body systems, particularly the lungs, cannot afford to function properly or supply the quantity of oxygen needed by tissue sufficiently. Hence the symptoms of oxygen shortage appear. In this stage, a clear explanation is established for man’s feeling of exhaustion, headache, feeling like to sleep, dyspnea and chest tightness when rising up in high altitudes. As a result of air pressure decrease, all air comes out of lungs and alveoli pulmonis, reducing the size of lungs and chest (i.e., the chest becomes really tight).
- The stage of chest tightness, i.e., from an altitude of 8 km upwards. In this stage, man loses consciousness totally due to the failure of the nervous system, and condition becomes critical.
فّمّن يٍرٌدٌ اللَّهٍ أّن يّهًدٌيّهٍ يّشًرّحً صّدًرّهٍ لٌلإسًلامٌ ومّن يٍرٌدً أّن يٍضٌلَّهٍ يّجًعّلً صّدًرّهٍ ضّيٌَقْا حّرّجْا كّأّّنَّمّا يّصَّعَّدٍ فٌي السَّمّاءٌ [ سورة الأنعام 125].
Thus, this verse displays a miraculous similitude when presenting a scientific fact in a very eloquent and accurate style. Points of the miracles of this verse are:
- When people first heard of the verse of man’s climbing to sky (space) , they considered it as a sort of imagination, and that Quran regards the ascension to space in a metaphorical manner. Actually the verse is a prophecy that came true centuries after it was first revealed.
- The similitude is very accurate, as climbing to high distances in the air causes chest tightness and the feeling of suffocation. The more the ascension increases, the more tightness reaches so critical and difficult stage that respiration is not possible any more. That’s why oxygen cylinders are taken when ascending up the sky, as in space ships !