Carrion , Blood & Pork
Allah says in His Honourable Book; “ He has forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine.” (2: 173)
حُرِّمَتْ عَلَيْكُمُ الْمَيْتَةُ وَالْدَّمُ وَلَحْمُ الْخِنْزِيرِ وَمَا أُهِلَّ لِغَيْرِ اللّهِ بِهِ وَالْمُنْخَنِقَةُ وَالْمَوْقُوذَةُ وَالْمُتَرَدِّيَةُ وَالنَّطِيحَةُ وَمَا أَكَلَ السَّبُعُ إِلاَّ مَا ذَكَّيْتُمْ [ سورة المائدة 3].
Prohibition of eating carrion:
What is the reasoning of totally forbidding dead meat?
It has been proved on a conclusive scientific basis that the body of a dead animal reserves blood with all sediments and toxins, particularly which are in the arterial blood. Blood could then prevail in the tissues and thus the toxins start to function in all body cells, thus the dead body changes colour to darker and the superficial veins are filled with blood, and blood circulation stops with no chance of leaking any amount of blood outside the body. The dead body becomes a spoilt deposit for diseases and microbes. The work of decay then starts in the body, affecting the meat in colour, taste and smell. So meat of dead bodies is foul and un-good. Allah says; “They will question thee what is permitted them. Say; ‘The good things are permitted you….’” (4:4)
يَسْأَلُونَكَ مَاذَا أُحِلَّ لَهُمْ ۖ قُلْ أُحِلَّ لَكُمُ الطَّيِّبَاتُ ۙ [ سورة المائدة 4].
Due to the decay enzymes, the dead meat loses all nutrient elements, and becomes valueless. Allah says; “This Quran is not such as can be produced by other than Allah; but it is a confirmation of what is before it, and a fuller explanation of the Book wherein there is no doubt- from the Lord of all beings.” (Younos :37)
وَمَا كَانَ هَٰذَا الْقُرْآنُ أَنْ يُفْتَرَىٰ مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ وَلَٰكِنْ تَصْدِيقَ الَّذِي بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَتَفْصِيلَ الْكِتَابِ لَا رَيْبَ فِيهِ مِنْ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ [ سورة يـونس 37].Kinds of carrion
Strangled: It has been scientifically proved that the animal if strangled, i.e., oxygen is not allowed to pass into its lungs, toxic carbon dioxide, as well as poisonous secretions accumulate in its body.
Killed by a violent blow, i.e., a cattle beaten to death by a stick or a stone.
Killed by a headlong fall, i.e., falling from a height.
Killed by being gored to death, i.e., by another cattle.
The remnants of a cattle partly eaten by a wild animal. This is prohibited for a great divine reason. Modern medical science has recently discovered that germs and microbes are transferred to the prey when grabbed by the wild animal’s claws, thus causing diseases to transfer to whoever eats the prey’s meat. Wild animals in general are infected with a disease that lies in their mouths and saliva, which in turn are transferred to the body of the prey, causing great harm to eaters of such meat.
Prohibition of blood:
Blood in the living creature has two main functions :
- it transfers nutrients absorbed by the intestines such as proteins, sugars, and fats, as well as vitamins, hormones and oxygen and all other vital necessary substances to body organs and muscles.
- it carries harmful body substances in the animal body for disposal through urine, sweat or stool. If the animal is diseased, microbes are multiplied in its blood, using it as the media for moving from one part to another, and this is where hazards lie. If man drinks blood, all these microbes and excretions will be carried to man, thus leading to so many diseases such hyper-uremia leading to renal failure, or hyper-ammoniaemia leading to hepatic coma.
Many germs carried by blood causes irritation to the membranes of stomach and intestines, leading to lots of diseases.
For all these reasons, Islam’s legal method of slaughter dictates that the animal be cleared of blood after slaughtering, so that cattle’s blood is not allowed by any means to enter the human body. This has been revealed long before microscopes are invented by man, or information of such microbes and germs has reached man’s knowledge.
Prohibition of the flesh of swine (pork) :
The Moslem is submissive to Allah’s commands even if the underlying wisdom is not yet revealed.
“All that the believers say, when they are called to Allah and His Messenger, that he my judge between them, is that they say; ‘We hear and we obey’; those – they are the prosperers.” (24: 51)
إِنَّمَا كَانَ قَوْلَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ إِذَا دُعُوا إِلَى اللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ لِيَحْكُمَ بَيْنَهُمْ أَنْ يَقُولُوا سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا ۚ وَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الْمُفْلِحُونَ. [ سورة النور 5].
Some recent western studies revealed that eaters of the flesh of swine (pork) carry the same characteristics of swine.
The Quran adopts the preventive method, whether for medical or social diseases, and their causes. This is much more better than the claims of the West and their inventions in the field of treatment which require lots of money, with no guarantee as to the positive results. No matter how the west is trying to beautify the image of the swine, by providing the most up to date equipment of caring and cleanliness, this will not counteract the fixed reality discovered by their own scientists of the worms and diseases contained in the body of the swine as compared to other animals.
Eating pork is harmful to health in a great many regards. This harm still persists today, despite all the precautions that are taken. First and foremost, no matter how clean the farms and environments on which it is raised may be, the pig is not by nature a clean-living animal. It often plays in, and even eats, its own excrement. Due to this and its biological structure, the pig produces much higher levels of antibodies in its body than other animals. In addition, far higher levels of growth hormone are produced in the pig compared to those in other animals and human beings. Naturally, these high levels of antibodies and growth hormone pass across to and collect in the pig’s muscle tissue. Pork meat also contains high levels of cholesterol and lipids (the rate of cholesterol is almost 15 times more than its rate in cows) . It has been scientifically proven that these significant amounts of antibodies, hormones, cholesterol and lipids in pork represent a serious threat to human health.
The existence of above-average numbers of obese individuals in the populations of countries such as the USA and Germany, in which large quantities of pork are consumed, is now well-known. When exposed to excessive quantities of growth hormone as a result of a pork-based diet, the human body first puts on excessive weight and then suffers physical deformations.
Another harmful substance in pork is the "trichina" worm. This is frequently found in pork and when it enters the human body, it settles directly in the muscles of the heart and represents a possibly fatal threat. Even though it is now technically possible to identify pigs that are infected with trichina, no such methods were known in earlier centuries. That means that everyone who ate pork risked infection by trichina and possible death.
Another disease is the "Tapeworm" which is transmitted from the pig to man’s intestines. It is a few meters long, and has about 22-32 hooks in the head, with which it clings to the intestine wall. The larva leaks into the stream of blood and settles in one of the body organs such as the heart, the liver or the eye, where it vesiculates. Settling in the brain, being its favourite place, the worm can cause epilepsy. This is the difference between the hazards of the tapeworm that is transmitted from the swine to man, and that which is transmitted from another beast such as the cow for example. The worm of the latter have no such grievous power to roam and travel with its larva in the human body to destroy it in a vicious violence.
All these reasons are just a part of the wisdom in our Lord’s prohibition on the consumption of pork. Moreover, this commandment of our Lord’s provides complete protection from the harmful effects of pork under any conditions.
Until the 20th century, it was impossible to be aware of the danger posed to human health by pork. The fact that the Quran, revealed fourteen centuries ago, warns against this harm which has been incontrovertibly revealed with modern medical equipment and biological tests, is one of the miracles demonstrating that the Quran is the revelation of Allah, the Omniscient. Despite all the precautionary measures and inspections that take place in modern-day pig rearing, the fact that pork is physiologically incompatible with the human body and is a variety of meat harmful to human health has not altered.
“Surely this Quran guides to the way that is straightest…” (17 :9)
إِنَّ هَـذَا الْقُرْآنَ يِهْدِي لِلَّتِي هِيَ أَقْوَمُ [ سورة الإسراء 9].
Fruit : is it before or after ?
- Doctors advise that, prior to eating, man should start with the soft and easily digestible food in order to prepare the oral glands secreting the peptic juice (saliva amylase) or the glands in stomach and duodenal to start functioning gradually in digesting food. Minutes later, man can start eating the main dish.
- A slice of fruit or dates are cases in point of soft food.
- The Quranic statement mentions fruit in advance of meat, in a remarkable reference to the previous meaning when addressing the state of believers in paradise: “and such fruits as they shall choose, and such flesh of fowl (chicken) as they desire…” (56: 21)
وَفَاكِهَةٍ مِّمَّا يَتَخَيَّرُونَ(20) وَلَحْمِ طَيْرٍ مِّمَّا يَشْتَهُونَ [ سورة الواقعة 21].
- Ablution is not just cleaning the external organs several times a day before prayers. The psychological and spiritual impact felt by the Moslem after ablution is more deeper than words can express, particularly when perfecting ablution. Ablution plays an important role in the life of the Moslem, as it keeps him always in a state of vitality, vigilance and fitness. The Prophet (PBUH) said; “He who performs ablution, and perfects it, his sins would come out from his body, till they pass out from under his nails.”
- The process of washing the organs usually exposed to dust is no doubt of a great significance to public health. These body parts are exposed all day long to numerous numbers of microbes counted in millions in every cubic centimeters of air. These microbes are in a constant offensive state against the human body at the exposed areas of skin. In ablution, microbes are taken by a surprise sweep from the surface of the skin, specially with perfect massaging and enough pouring of water, as guided by the Prophet (PBUH). Following such a process, no dirt or germs are left on the body except what Allah decrees.
- Rinsing the mouth. Modern science has proved that rinsing the mouth protects the mouth and throat from inflammation and the gums from suppuration (pyorrhea). It also protects and cleans teeth by removing food remnants.
- Sniffing the nose. Washing and sniffing the nose strongly helps keep the nostril clean and free of inflammation and germs, thus reflecting positively on the health status of the whole body.
- Washing the face and the two hands. Washing the face and the two hands up to the elbows is of a great benefit in removing dust and microbes as well as sweat from the surface of the skin. This also cleans the skin from the fatty substance secreted by skin glands, and which is usually a very suitable place for the proliferation and sustenance of germs.
- Washing the two feet. Washing feet with massaging lead to a feeling of quietness and complacency that engulfs the Moslem after ablution.
- Other secrets. Scientific research has proved that blood circulation in upper limbs from the hands to the forearms, and in the lower limbs from the feet to the legs is weaker than it is in other organs, being peripheral to the centre of regulating blood circulation, namely, the heart. So washing these limbs with massaging at every ablution help strengthen the blood circulation in these parts, thus increasing the vitality and activity of the body.
Ablution and health purity
Allah says; “O believers, when you stand up to pray, wash your faces, and your hands up to the elbows, and wipe your heads, and your feet up to the ankles. If you are defiled, purify yourselves…” (5:6)
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِذَا قُمْتُمْ إِلَى الصَّلاةِ فَاغْسِلُوا وُجُوهَكُمْ وَأَيْدِيَكُمْ إِلَى الْمَرَافِقِ وَامْسَحُوا بِرُءُوسِكُمْ وَأَرْجُلَكُمْ إِلَى الْكَعْبَيْنِ وَإِنْ كُنْتُمْ جُنُبًا فَاطَّهَّرُوا [ سورة المائدة 6].
Ablution is the weapon of the faithful:
Science has proved the effect of sun rays, particularly the ultra violet ones, in causing skin carcinoma. This effect decreases very well with the consequence of ablution, as it constantly dampens the surface of the skin with water, particularly the parts exposed to such rays. This helps protect the surface and internal layer cells of the skin from the harmful impact of rays.